Friday, September 22, 2017

A Shirt Skirt

Hello Refashion Co-op. I am not always completely successful when I try to refashion clothes. Sometimes things just don't work out. This time I was half successful.
 I wanted to refashion these 2 shirts into a new outfit.


I started by cutting the arms and shoulders off this colorful shirt. I loved the ruffles at the bottom. It seemed like it would make a great skirt.


I made a simple black elastic waistband. This was the successful part of the project.


This gray T-shirt was too low in the front. I thought if I folded the neckline in and over on itself, it would gather together. That would make the neckline higher and it would fit better. I stitched it together but I didn't think it was laying smoothly. 


I added 3 little buttons to improve the wonky neckline. The buttons were OK, but the gathers really defined and accentuated my chest. It didn't suit me and I have to call it a failure. It felt obscene and I couldn't wear it. Oh, well. The skirt is a keeper and I can definitely wear it with something else.


Thanks for reading, for more details and pictures please go to  I Can Work With That.

9 comments:

Maria said...

I would keep experimenting with the shirt by trying it on backwards for inspiration.

I Can Work With That said...

Intriguing idea Maria, very clever. Thanks,
Chickie

g.satansbraten said...

Can you undo your Top T shirt job and/or rather tweak the armholes a bit to wear the deep neckline back to front instead. Means: creating some 'prominent competition' where you probably don't (have to) mind?

LG, Gerlinde

I Can Work With That said...

Backwaards! That is a great idea too.
Thanks,
Chickie

g.satansbraten said...

... sorry, for basically a 'repeat' of the first comment here due to lately writing 'sermon' first and at times not having more time to read the previous ideas. Sorry again; especially to 'no. 1 commenter, Maria'!

On another note: I take it, you're not happy with those new pleats/lines and an 'undo' on T-Shirts is at times combined with holes or the like.
With the 'undo' you could have tried a lace insert instead or a trim all around? The latter might actually even cover up any holes coincidentally 'created' with an 'undo' ?
Further: How about 'leading'/fixing those new created 'pleats/lines' a bit further down in a more 'narrow lane' ? Would this appease your view about your nice 'prominents/dominants' (= usually 'highly thought afters' ;-) :-D ! )
I'd try the latter definitely first of all only as a temporary attempt.
Good luck to old saying: more eyes and more minds = togetherness ....

Loving greets, Gerlinde

Amy Jo said...

I love the skirt!
And I love the attempt at the shirt fix. In theory, that's a great idea. I wonder if it would work better with a different type of material. T-shirts can be so fussy.

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks for the comments Gerlinde and Amy Jo. I will try your ideas. I love sharing sewing tips on this blog.
Chickie

Charily Posh said...

This is so cute. How can I post my refashion s?

TheRefashStash said...

So cute!

-TheRefashStash