Friday, November 17, 2017

Knit Skirt to T-shirt Refashion

You know those skirts that have huge elasticated waists and are intended to do double duty as a dress, but never end up being worn because they're usually too narrow in the hips?  Yeah, I had one of those:

So rather than let it linger unworn in the back of my closet, I did what any of you would do...I refashioned it!

I've blogged the full tutorial with photos over at Skirt Fixation...see you there!

A Flattering Hoodie

Hello Refashion Co-op. I wanted to make the hooded jacket you see in the picture below. This is a big cozy men's jacket. I liked the length but not the baggy fit.
I used a favorite hoodie as a guide to mark my new seams.

Here you can see how I took the sides in and made the arms shorter.

To correct the boxy fit of the jacket, I added some thin elastic inside the jacket. I attached it where it would define my waist a little.

That was it. This was perfect to wear with leggings and go out without feeling like my back end was hanging out.

Thanks for reading, for more details and pictures go to I Can Work With That.

Thursday, November 16, 2017

A magical transformation (boots to shoes & a hat)

A little late, but here's how I turned a pair of falling-apart boots into a pair of shoes and a mini witch hat for Halloween!

To make the shoes, I just removed all the flexible parts of the boots, cleaned up the cut edges, and turned the buckles from decorative to functional with a couple strips of Velcro.

For the hat, I took the scraps of the boot shafts and fashioned parts of them into a cone-shaped crown and a flat brim. I'd like to say it was magic, but it was really mostly hot glue!

More description of the process can be found over at my blog.

--The Unfashionista

Monday, November 13, 2017

Morticia Addams Costume Refash

This year was the hubbies turn to pick Halloween Costumes for us. He had decided on the iconic Halloween couple: Gomez and Morticia Addams! What a great pick! Classic! This refash only covers my Morticia costume, the hubby was set on buying his own costume.

I stared with this plain long black dress.

And this 1980's gem!

First step was to take in the long black dress so it was more form fitting. This was actually kind of tricky since I had to keep taking it on and off with the pins in it. Yikes!

I cut a slit in the front of the dress and pinned back the sides to make it a deep v-neck.

I took those lovely lace sleeves from the 80's dress.

Pinned them to the arm holes of the long black dress.
By this time it was time to set up my nice new black wig...

It took me about 1/2 a can of good ol' aquanet hairspray to make the pin curls in my wig to stay. I let my wig sit with the pin curls for 2 days.

On to the sleeve details...
I cut lace ribbon and lace at descending lengths.

I used a seam ripper to open a hole in the sleeves in which I placed the ribbons and lace. Then I stitched up the hole to keep the ribbons in place.

I purchased some spooky spiderweb lace which I cut into triangles...
and cut those triangles into smaller triangles...

I sewed the spiderweb lace to the front and back of the long black dress. Once that was all stitched up I cut a triangle out of the black dress so that the spiderweb lace could show through. I also left part of the triangles hang passed the hem of the dress.
I did not like the flat look of the cutouts once they were done. I stitched the top of the cutout into a dart, which gave it some depth.

DSCN0712 (2)
Remember me? This was my Refashion Runway Season 4 Velvet challenge.
I decided to reuse the cape from this one and incorporate it into my Halloween costume.

I added some spiderweb lace and black ribbon to make an epaulette (decorative shoulder part of a uniform) on the cape.

They're creepy and they're kooky, Mysterious and spooky, They're altogether ooky,
The Addams Family...

Gomez and Morticia Addams

Happy Halloween!!!

Happy Refashioning!!!

Check out my stash of refashions on my blog:

Country Dress Refash

I am ashamed that I have been holding onto this dress since I started my blog...2years ago. So, finally the day has come for this little dress to be refashioned! Yay!
Joining this dress will be a part of another dress...

I have always been drawn to eyelets which makes this dress so beautiful to me.

I began by taking in the green floral dress in by 2 inches.

I harvested the front of the eyelet dress because it had beautiful clear round buttons.

I cut a slit down the front of the dress and folded over the sides to make a v-neck. After my v-neck took shape I pinned in the bit of fabric I took from the eyelet dress.

To make the v-neck fall flat I had to fold down all around thee neckline as well.

I took the bottom part of the eyelet dress...

I pinned and sewed it to the bottom of the dress dress and there you have it! A beautiful dress with a country girl feel!
Happy Refashioning!!!

You can check out my stash of refashions on my blog: